Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Episode #14 : The Crusades


"There's something new in you, yet something older than the sky itself. I sense that I can trust you."

Episode 14:   The Crusades
Companions: The 1st Doctor, Vicki, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright.
Air Date:       Four episodes. 27th March to 17th April 1965.

The TARDIS arrives in 12th century Palestine where a holy war is in progress between the forces of King Richard the Lionheart and the Saracen ruler Saladin. Barbara is abducted in a Saracen ambush and the Doctor, Ian and Vicki make their way to King Richard's palace in the city of Jaffa.

I have never seen this story as it is largely missing apart from a complete audio recording, so once again I am going by episode synopses and write ups.

The Crusades is yet another historical story this time dealing with the crusade for the holy land in the 12th century. The assumption again is that this was another attempt to teach children about history in a format that they might actually watch and enjoy.

Like other early episodes where it is impossible at this time to watch them in completeness, it is difficult to actually rate it. The problem is, as I have mentioned before, that for the most part purely historical stories tend to be a bit dull for me and I have no doubt that this is probably going to be the case with The Crusades. Hopefully though, one day I will be able to watch it.

As a side note, this episode was sold abroad like all others except to the Middle East where it was feared it may cause offence.

No comments:

Post a Comment