Total Pageviews

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Episode #26 : The Savages


"Do you not realize that all progress is based on exploitation?"
"That, sir, is protracted murder!"

Episode 26:   The Savages.
Companions: The 1st Doctor, Steven Taylor and Dodo.
Air Date:       Four episodes. 28th May to 18th June 1966.

The TARDIS has arrived on a far-distant and seemingly idyllic world. Yet the Doctor, Steven and Dodo learn it hides a terrible secret: the apparently civilised Elders maintain their advanced society by draining and transferring to themselves the life-force of the defenceless Savages.

The Savages is another story that thus far I have been unable to watch. It is also largely missing though a version exists with photo stills and the audio recording I believe. I have read the story synopsis and it is difficult to say whether this story would have been any good or not. I hope so as by this point the stories do seem to be getting better as the show carries on.

The important thing about this story for me is that it sees the departure of Steven as he stays behind to teach the people of the planet how to be good and decent people. I really can't stand the character at all. He just seems argumentative and opposing all the time. None of which are good characteristics for a decent companion in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment