Total Pageviews

Saturday 22 June 2013

Episode #28 : The Smugglars


"How dare you follow me into the TARDIS!"
 
 
Episode 28:   The Smugglars.
Companions: The 1st Doctor, Polly Wright and Ben Jackson.
Air Date:        Four episodes. 10th September to 1st October 1966.
 
The TARDIS arrives on the coast of seventeenth century Cornwall - much to the astonishment of Polly and Ben. Pirates led by Captain Samuel Pike and his henchman Cherub are searching for a hidden treasure, while a smuggling ring masterminded by the local squire is trying to off-load contraband.
 
I believe this is another story that has been all but lost. I think a handful of scenes, stills and the audio recording survive. It is another that I have never seen though this time I wonder whether it would be an early historical tale worth watching.
 
I'm not going to go through the synopsis this time as there isn't much to the story doing so but I will make mention of a reference that comes back to us in the show under Matt Smith's run as the Doctor. The characters in the story reference Henry Avery of the sailing ship Fancy, who reappears in the story The Curse of the Black Spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment